Man to Man Bodywork

A free interactive network for gay/bi massage, bodywork and related interests

I rarely have clients who ask me if I'm registered/certified. More are more interested in how long I've been doing this than in my credentials. If I were working for someone else, I'm sure this would be much different, but it seems that clients who come to someone who is self employed are more interested in experience. 

What are your thoughts or experience on being LMT/RMT.CMT vs not having the paperwork? 

Views: 205

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have mixed feelings about this....I would prefer my therapist have a license, but if someone is giving me a great massage and the techniques, flow, pressure etc. are  good....I'm  ok with it.

I agree. Some guys are naturally talented and gifted with the right touch. Others have gone to school, but maybe never got their license or they decided to let their license lapse, but they are still trained and very good. So I think it is important to inquire about experience and education, but not necessarily rely on a piece of paper to determine whether someone is a good masseur or not.

I look for both I do look for a M4M massuer on some of the regular male massage sites I usually sort by Certified just to see who on there has gone to the class But 90% of my money seems to go to Massage workers who are not cetified and I have some great men in my favorits that really do a great ob and have never been trained, It makes no diffrence to me, experience and good reviews do. I to am an untrained but very busy body worker.

PS Floyd's really good its been a few years but I liked him alot. Is there going to be a review section on here Floyde so we can talk about the guys that have earned a place in our hearts?

Hi Manmasg!

Thanks for your kind words about your experience with my session. I appreciate it.

Creating a review section on each profile would probably not work logistically. There is a Forum topic about talking about recent experiences... both from the perspective of the Masseur as well as that from the Client. I think it would be appropriate to post REVIEWS in that section. Hopefully that will work OK. 

The two main reasons i got Licensed in CA is for  liability insurance for my practice and that  clients can get reimbursed for massage/ bodywork. Its  only through a licensed or Certified massage therapist that  insurance companies and business will  reimbursement for massage.      When one is licensed it shows the client that you have adequate training and education and hopefully know your way around a body:-)

Good point about insurance and reimbursement! How much work is the insurance company reimbursement? When I was still licensed, I never wanted to mess with the paperwork involved, so I never got experience with that aspect. 

There are many unlicensed bodyworkers who either used to be licensed and let it lapse, or never went through with the licensing process. 

Massage is about touch and there are so many ways of touching.  I think it's important to know something about the body and I trust LMT's to know how to work with the body.  Fact is that LMTs  are restricted by law to certain ways of touching and forbidden zones.  It all depends on what client/massage want/offer.  I've had excellent experiences with licensed and with un-licensed masseurs.  I think it's so important to communicate with each other so that a flow happens.  I've had some sessions where I felt like an object isolated from the practitioner.  No flow.  Different experience from feeling a kind of loop of energy flowing between me and the other.  That's what I prefer.  Doesn't have to be erotic to flow, but sometimes it can be, as I see it.  Always respect, mutuality, and sensitivity to one another's personhood, boundaries, and well being matter most.

You know this is still a valid question, and for some, an issue that accepts no compromise, the masseur must be certified or licensed. I am neither, ye am confident in my skills,. bolstered by having licensed masseurs as as trade partners who've all said I have natural skills. I've taken training from these guys as well having studied training videos ad nauseam. 

I was too old to commit to the 1,000 hours of class time required in NY when  started, never mind the price tag involved. I never represent myself as licensed, and if a potential client asks, I'll tell them I have training, and after some 15 years of experience there are thousands of bodies in my wake. There are of course those who sport only enthusiasm without skill or certification, and you can tell within a few strokes. zOption 1 - stick with it because he's not terrible, Option 2 - offer apologies as you get up and 'say this just isn't working' 

Short of it is  that there ar skilled practitioners on either side of license fence as well as those who are mediocre.

RSS

© 2020   Created by Floyd.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service